The Village of Oak Park | 123 Madison St.  Oak Park, IL 60302 |

Main menu


Carbon monoxide detectors save lives

An investment of about $30 for a detector can be the difference in life and death when it comes to deadly carbon monoxide, an odorless and tasteless gas that can leak into one’s home from a malfunctioning gas appliance, such as a furnace or water heater.

Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. That’s why state law requires homeowners and landlords to install carbon monoxide detectors within 15 feet of every room used for sleeping.

Alarms can be battery powered, plug-in with battery backup or wired into the AC power line with a secondary battery backup. The alarm also can be combined with a smoke detector if the unit complies with established standards and the alarm differentiates the hazard.

The property owner must supply and install all required alarms. Landlords must ensure that alarms are operable on the date a lease is initiated. While tenants are responsible for testing and maintaining the alarm after the lease commences, landlords must provide written instructions.

Carbon monoxide detectors are not substitutes for smoke detectors, Fire Department officials caution, so both devices are essential.

For more information, call 708.358.5600 or email